Once you get within a year of your intended retirement date, we suggest you take the following steps:
- Attend one of APERS' retirement seminars.
- If you have not investigated the possibility of purchasing prior service, contact APERS about this option.
- Consider how you will handle emergency expenses. Make an effort to eliminate any debt and pay off obligations for large purchases.
- Contact your medical insurance provider to verify your post-retirement eligibility and rates.
- Evaluate your life insurance needs and contact your provider for information regarding eligibility and rates.
- Consult a retirement counselor for an estimate of your potential monthly retirement annuity.
- Study the benefit option plans available from APERS. You may select Straight Life, Option A-60, Option A-120, Option B-50, or Option B-75.
- Consider how retirement will affect your taxes.
- Do a post-retirement budget to determine if you can maintain your standard of living.
Click below to return to the FAQ home page.